Starting a Hotel Business in Singapore
Singapore is home to a thriving tourism sector, receiving a vibrant and eclectic mix of travellers from all over the world. From business travellers, families to backpackers and jetsetters, there is a demand within the tourism sector to meet the need and investors who are thinking about setting up a hotel business in Singapore will find that there is no better time to cash in on this lucrative industry than right now.
Singapore is where some of the world’s leading international hotel chains call home, with boutique hotels quickly expanding with the rising demand in the country. If you are keen to setup a hotel business in Singapore, especially a lodging or boarding house type of hotel, you will find the following information advantageous to help you get started off on the right foot.
How to Get Started on Your Hotel Business in Singapore
The first thing every budding hotelier would need is to acquire the Certificate of Registration and Hotel-Keeper’s License. Under the Hotels Act in Singapore, any individual who intends to operate a hotel in Singapore must obtain permission to use the premise as a hotel from the Hotel Licensing Board. Hotels can be anything from guest houses to boarding houses, if the premise is intended for the purpose of a hotel, the required licenses must be obtained.
To qualify for the Certificate of Registration and Hotel-Keeper’s License, the following conditions must be fulfilled:
- The business must already be successfully incorporated and registered with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority of Singapore (ACRA).
- Written approval obtained from the Urban Redevelopment Authority of Singapore.
- A Chief Executive Officer or General Manager must be appointment.
- An advertisement of the application must be listed in both The Straits Times and Lianhe Zaobao, which are both English and Chinese daily’s respectively. This must be done with 14-days of submitting your application for the Certificate of Registration.
- Approval obtained from the Fire Safety Department.
- Approval obtained from the Building Construction Authority of Singapore.
- Approval and clearance granted from the National Environment Agency.
The Certificate of Registration and Hotel-Keeper’s License will normally take approximately three weeks before it is approved, on the condition that the advertisements provided in the English and Chinese dailies receive no objections. The licenses will be valid until December of every year, after which it will be renewable on an annual basis.
Other Types of Licenses Needed to Start a Hotel Business in Singapore
Other types of licenses which you will need to run your hotel business are:
- A Non-Residential TV License
- Public Entertainment License/Arts Entertainment License
- Public Establishment License
- Copyright Permit (if you intend to reproduce music and/or videos which are copyrighted)
- A Massage Establishment LicenseA Halal Certification
- Swimming Pool License
- Tobacco Retail License
- Money Changer License
- Operating a Food Processing Establishment License
- Advertisement License
- Localized Radio Communication License
- Import Food and Food Appliances License
- Petroleum/Flammable Materials Storage License
- Localized Private Network License
- Premises Approval
- Discharge Trade Effluents License
- Wide-area Private Network License
If you are interested to start a hotel business in Singapore, read more from local corporate service provider in Singapore who can assist you along the way.