Starting a Spa Business in Singapore
The spa business in Singapore has increased incredibly over the past few years and currently is a booming industry that is opening plenty of potential and opportunity within the Singapore markets. The spa business is an important part of the Singapore health and wellness sector which now not only caters to women, but men as well whose numbers have steadily increased over the years.
The Licenses Needed to Set Up a Spa Business in Singapore
Much like every other business in Singapore, operating a spa establishment requires the necessary licences and permit approvals before the business can legally run. To open a spa business in Singapore, investors would need to apply for the Massage Establishment License.
Establishments planning to offer spa services and massages would need this license. This license comes in two categories, Category 1 and Category 2.
The Category 1 license offers business owners more liberal conditions when it comes to running the business. Liberal conditions here are, for example, unrestricted operating hours, the spa is able to admit customers of any age with no restrictions and limitations. Category 1 business operators are also able to employ foreigners to work as masseurs and massage therapists.
Because of the flexibility it offers, Category 1 is often the more popular choice for business owners. There are however, certain establishments that are exempted for applying for Category 1 licenses, so investors would need to check if their establishment is applicable for Category 1 before submitting an application.
What Is Needed to Apply for the Massage Establishment License
To apply for the Massage Establishment License, the requirements below must be met:
- Incorporation of the business
- The applicant of the license must be 21 years of age at the very least
- Applicants of this license must be free of any criminal records
- Applicants of this license must be free of any vice records
- If the applicant is a foreign investor, the applicant would need to apply for the Singapore Employment Pass and have a valid work permit
- For Category 1 licenses, the premise of operation must be shop houses, HDB neighbourhood centres, private shopping centres, commercial complexes and hotels
- Category 1 applicants are free to hire both local and foreign employees
- Category 2 premise of operations must be shopping or commercial complexes or hotels and situated away from residential areas
Category 1 applicants must also submit the following documentation:
- A list of renovation, assets or rental costs and all documented proof of these transactions
- The Fire Safety & Shelter Department Building Plan reference number
- Photos showing the front, side and read view of all official staff uniform that will be worn while on duty at the spa
- The total floor plan of the spa
- The tenancy agreement with the landlord
- Proof that the spa is accredited under the Accreditation for Spa and Wellness Business scheme.
3E Accounting Pte Ltd, Singapore – Corporate Service Provider is here to offer the guidance and assistance for new business investors looking at starting a spa business in Singapore.